Do you need to rent a car? Things to consider to find the best car rental deal
There are many situations where you find yourself needing to rent a car. Car rental is a good solution if your car is being repaired, broken down, or if you haven’t bought a new one yet. Maybe you’re going on vacation, be it personal or business, and want to get from one place to another with ease or class without having to deal with the locals on public transport. Maybe you want to accompany your family on a trip, either national or international. You may even think about renting a particular car just to try it out before you buy it.
You may be wondering “What do I need to rent a car?” so the rest of this article will show you what you’ll need if you want to rent a car and how to find the best car rental deal. To achieve this goal and avoid running into a frustrating situation or incurring an additional payment, do your homework beforehand and take advantage of the information in this article.
- ID: Make sure you have valid ID and that your name on the ID matches the name on your driver’s license and credit card.
- Valid Driver’s License: You must have a valid driver’s license issued in your country.
- International Driver’s License – You may be asked to present your International Driver’s License, so make sure you have one in case your National License is unfamiliar or written in the Roman alphabet.
- Credit or debit card: Make sure you have an active credit or debit card with additional funds, because most companies will use it to charge you for excess mileage or gas. Please note that some rental companies will not accept debit cards.
- Insurance: You will be required to pay for optional car insurance from the car rental company. It is advisable that you check before paying for any insurance because it may already be covered by your employer or by your credit card or any other service.
- The required age is from 25 to 70 years. Renters ages 21-24 may incur additional fees.
Other considerations and recommendations:
- To find a car rental company, check the online or print yellow pages for car rental agencies or online websites such as Hertz, CarRentals.com, KAYAK, Enterprise, and AutoSlash.com. Some of these yellow pages and websites have a map view, making it easier for you to locate nearby car rental companies. Pick a company that has a great selection of cars and gives you unlimited miles.
- Each company has its own rules and policies, so be sure to call or email the company to check and check for any hidden fees, surcharges, or any penalty clauses you may incur.
- If you have any driving offenses against your name, it may be difficult for you to be accepted as a renter.
- There are two main areas where you can rent cars. Airport and downtown. In general, renting from anywhere other than the airport will be cheaper.
- Car rental rates are not constant, but rather unstable. Rates vary based on economic condition, state taxes, utility tax laws, size and reputation of rental company, occasions, demand, etc. To get the best rates, find as many companies as you can and make a list to save the rates and compare them to each other. It is advisable to reserve the car well in advance and double check the rate in order to find a better offer.
- Make a checklist to determine all your needs and pick-up and drop-off time beforehand.
- When using the car, do not use it on gravel or unpaved roads. Instead, use it only on paved roads to avoid paying additional fees. You must return the car in good condition as you took it. Don’t misuse the car.
- If you are going to rent the car for sightseeing, it is best to rent the car with your driver. It is especially recommended if you are going to rent in a foreign country.
- Most companies stipulate that you return the car with a full tank, so make sure you return the car with a full tank to avoid the extra money you may incur.
- In some countries, you may need to pay CDW (Collision Damage Waiver).
- You can pay an additional fee for extras like GPS, child seat, and bike rack.
In conclusion, think about it for a moment, if you rush and rent any car in a hurry, you will most likely incur extra money. On the other hand, if you take your time to research by calling many car rental agencies and visiting famous car rental websites, you will definitely find the best car rental deal that meets your needs. Nowadays it is quite easy to do it thanks to the Internet. You can visit many famous car rental companies online for lots of deals and travel inspiration if you still haven’t decided where to go and for how much.
If you have any additional tips, feel free to add them in the comments section. Your thoughts are welcome.